CBWS Newsletter February 2021
I hope this Newsletter finds you well and keeping safe in this challenging start to the year.
Before anything else I have to advise you that Neville Richardson has recently been in hospital following a nasty incident with a dog. He is now at home and on a slow road to recovery for which we all wish him well. We look forward to welcoming you back into our online tastings Neville as soon as you can raise a glass!
We started our 2021 activities with a Zoom Tasting on January 21 with something a little different see webpage report on this tasting here.
Your Committee met by a Zoom conference in January and discussed the way forward for this year.
- Continue with online tastings in-house together with a number of online Bodega Tastings as we did with Vinyes del Terrer in October. These will always be on the 3rdThursday of each month. Regular participants for online tastings are emailed monthly and if you want to join us at any time please email me and I will add you to the list: email@example.com
- The programme has to be fluid depending on restrictions and progress with controlling the virus.
- As restrictions are gradually relaxed consider as an interim measure some home tastings with the same format we used in September. Many people will initially feel nervous about large gatherings and this could be a safe way to rebuild everyone’s confidence.
- Start physical Tastings when appropriate, ideally at Pueerto Blanca, Calpe in June which is outside dining.
- Thereafter select venues that meet the criteria for safe gatherings with preference to outside dining or well-spaced venues.
Wine Trip to Mallorca.
Covid rules have delayed this trip from May 2020 and the proposal is to try to run it in October 2021 instead. The Wine Trip Team has communicated this to the original trippers.
The Autumn Questionnaire had identified that 93% of the 100 people who replied (a 91% response) wanted to re-join the Society for 2021.
As Members have had very little benefit for their 2020 subscription, except for the Zoom meetings, it was agreed that membership fees should be waived for this year. The Treasurer has confirmed that Finances are sufficient to allow for this.
There are some current members who have friends who would like to join CBWS. Your Committee has agreed that anyone joining this year will get a 50% discount off the membership fee.
New members can apply through the website in the normal way. Membership Application is under Contact us”.
As it is not physically possible for members to meet due to Covid restrictions we plan to hold the AGM at our first physical tasting, with the meeting commencing 90 minutes before the tasting begins.
The Committee agreed that it was important to inform all CBWS members of the status in 2020. Therefore a brief summary of activities will be sent to you shortly, also showing our financial position at the year-end. This report will be posted to the website excluding the financial information which is for members only,
We are looking forward to a fun year of interesting activities and tasting some great wines too.
The monthly Newsletter and CBWS Webpage are our main means of communication. The Zoom meetings have also been very useful in maintaining a contact with those members who were interested in participating in the tastings and have ensured a continuity throughout the year which would have otherwise been impossible.
We also have created a Facebook page which offers members a means to communicate on various wine related topics in a light-hearted way. All members are invited to join the FB page and can access the page by searching: CBWS Costa Blanca Wine Society. A simple question will be asked before access is given.
Best wishes for an enjoyable new year!